Finding the right fit
One of the first factors in finding the best yacht service provider for your yacht is matching up one with expertise in working with vessels the same size as yours. For example, there are many mega-yacht, all-inclusive service providers, but most don’t work with yachts less than 80 ft.
On the other hand, some skilled marine mechanics can keep your center-console skiff in peek-performance condition. But they lack the capability of being a one-stop resource for larger vessels’ complex needs. Thus, leaving you searching for a reputable marine professional for every different system and service you need to manage your boat.
Many boat owners find themselves needing yacht services in between these two extremes.
If you find yourself in this position, we’ve laid out a few essential tips on what to look for when searching for any quality yacht service provider. Plus, you can learn more about how we are uniquely positioned to provide exceptional yacht services to our clients at Onyx.
Staffed with the experienced professionals you need
Start by inventorying the systems and services you need, or may one-day need, and look for a yacht services provider that can provide the best all-inclusive service for you. Then look at the level of expertise offered by the individual professionals employed.
For example, Onyx provides professional marine services for owners with vessels between 15 feet and 115 feet. We employ a diversified, highly skilled team of professionals that make servicing all aspects of your yacht simple.
Onyx supports discerning boat owners with a full spectrum of yacht services with a dedicated team and luxury experiences all from one place.
Some of the services we offer include:
- Professional captain and crew placement services-from an on-demand captain for the afternoon to full-time captains, mates, and chefs, we have the professionals to meet your specific needs. Our USCG certified and fully vetted captains are both highly skilled and provide an extraordinary level of personalized service. We also have delivery captains and instructional captains to help you grow your skills and confidence on board your own vessel.
- Marine mechanics-a team of top-notch, specialty marine mechanics to handle the repair, maintenance, or installation of marine engines, generators, and marine systems. Scheduled maintenance is imperative to ensuring the safety and reliability of any vessel, so we offer custom maintenance packages too.
- Marine electricians- from installing new navigation gear and complex troubleshooting electrical charging systems to rewiring your vessel, the Onyx marine electricians provide immaculate installations and repairs. They also are masters at upgrading existing systems to handle newly added equipment to your boat to ensure the electrical system’s safety is appropriately expanded.
- Marine technicians- for all the specialty systems on your vessel like hydraulic systems, engine alignments, and steering systems. Our team has a wealth of knowledge to keep your boat on the water and reduce time in the boatyard. In addition, our mobile marine technicians, electricians, and mechanics come to your dock, marina, or boatyard, making the service hassle-free.
- Detailing specialist-help enhance the experience of ownership by providing meticulous cleaning and detailing service for the exterior and interior of your vessel. Besides making your yacht feel welcoming every time you step aboard, we help you extend the life of all the specialty surfaces and fabrics on your boat with knowledgeable professionals.
- Marine specialty craftsman-we’ve curated a network of sought-after craftsmen/craftswomen that provide unmatched results. That team consists of professionals like canvas and upholstery masters, brightwork finishers, painters, and custom lighting design experts.
Stress-free management of yacht services
For many of us, boating is a passion. It’s where we go to escape, relax, and spend distraction-free moments with our friends and family.
But vessel maintenance is key to your boat’s reliability and value. When handled professionally, proper management of maintenance, repairs, and upgrades can be stress-free when you find a provider you trust.
Here are a few qualities to look for when researching any prospective yacht management services. Plus, these are practices we follow at Onyx:
Maintain high-level certifications and licenses-your yacht services provider should be able to quickly explain the level of expertise, including the licenses and certifications, of any marine professional coming to work on your boat.
Hire only fully vetted staff– like being transparent with professional licenses, your chosen yacht management company should be able to tell you how they screen their team members. Do they do background checks? Drug screens? Verify licenses? How frequently?
Institute strong privacy policies-discretion among not only captains and crew you hire, but all the staff is important. A reputable yacht management service will ensure that all employees have signed non-disclosure agreements (NDA) and respect your confidentiality wishes.
Demonstrate luxury client care with every interaction. Every aspect of a highly regarded yacht service provider should enhance your boat ownership experience—it’s their job to help you get more enjoyment from your boat. You don’t need to own the largest vessel on the dock for excellent service.
Manage multi-faceted teams and schedules– quality yacht service providers will choreograph all the logistical details of getting the right marine professional to your boat so that you don’t have any unexpected down days that prevent you from getting on the water.
Provide on-demand & full-time yacht services.
Perhaps you need a full-time yacht management team to proactively handle the day-to-day aspects of boat operations. Or maybe you only need to hire a professional occasionally but would like to have a knowledgeable and responsible contact you know you can trust to call when you do.
A quality yacht services company will have many different service options, and the best will create custom packages specifically for you and your vessel that meet your ongoing needs.
Value communication with every interaction
A differentiating characteristic between yacht service providers is the level of communication and documentation. A distinguished marine service provider will clearly communicate what is being done, why, how, AND follow up after the service.
For example, when Onyx sends a marine electrician or mechanic to a vessel, the boat owner will get a full written report that outlines what was found and done to remedy the problem accompanied by photographs.
Further, if our technicians install a new piece of equipment—an electronic navigation suite, for example—we will schedule a follow-up appointment with you so that a USCG captain can go over how to use your new equipment and feel more confident handling your boat.
Our hired captains also value strong communication with their boat owners. It helps them learn what you like and anticipate how to provide the most personalized services by tailoring to your preferences. In addition, they adjust their interactions depending on whether you are seeking a hands-off and private experience aboard your boat or are looking to receive coaching for a professional on using your boat and its equipment.
Hopefully, now in your search for finding the most reliable and experienced yacht service provider, you will have a clearer idea of what to look for and a more defined expectation of how a quality yacht service provider should feel to work with.
We welcome your questions about how we can serve you and your boat. Feel free to reach out anytime during your search. Call us at (786) 505-4259